Re: replacing hard disk

Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
> Are there any tips on moving the whole system from the old disk to
> the new one? Or do I just have to re-install ubuntu, re-install
> any updates and extra programs which are installed, find and copy
> modified config files, mails, bookmarks, etc?

Disclaimer: I have no experience with ubuntu, therefore I'd recommend
installing debian on the new disk.

I've successfully done the following (for my debian):

- place the new disk in an usb housing and attach it to the computer
running the 'normal' OS

- format the disk and create file systems as needed (usually the new
disk is larger than the old, so file systems will be larger than on the
old disk

- copy all data as files (rsync) for / and /home (my two partitions)

- install grub on the new hard disk

- remove the hard disk from the usb housing and put it into computer

- boot to old system on new disk

- be happy 8-)

Ie. this can be done without the need of live CDs.

Note that it helps to keep the partitions in the same order, or you have
to modify /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst

Cheers,
Johannes