Re: Configuring Tor and Privoxy in Squeeze

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 11:59:29 +0100, AG wrote:
Hello

I am attempting to get Tor and Privoxy working with Iceweasel, but it keeps throwing up errors.

[...]

Under the preferences option of the Iceweasel Tor Button, running the test, this is the output:

Tor proxy test: Internal error

[...]

So, I am stumped. Without Tor being enabled, the connection is fine, and when Tor is enabled, looking through Iceweasel preferences/Advanced/Network/Settings the following is enabled:

Manual proxy configuration
HTTP Proxy 127.0.0.1 Port 8118
[I do not have "use this proxy server for all protocols" checked]
SSL Proxy 127.0.0.1 Port 8118

I have the same settings, except for using "localhost" instead of
"127.0.0.1".  This should not make any difference, though.

Socks Host 127.0.0.1 Port 9050
Socks v5 enabled
No Proxy for: localhost, 127.0.0.1

The same configuration works for me.

The following is my /etc/privoxy/config file (without the commented sections):

[...]

forward-socks5   /               127.0.0.1:9050 .

I have this instead, as per the example given in the comments of the
config file:

forward-socks4a / localhost:9050 .

You should check if Tor and privoxy are actually listening for
connections on the ports that you specify; see the output of these
commands (as root):

lsof -i :8118 -i :9050

netstat -plant | grep -E ':(8118|9050)'

Florian

Thanks for coming to my aid (again!).
Have tried the suggestions, and this is the output:

netstat -plant | grep -E ':(8118|9050)'
(Not all processes could be identified, non-owned process info
will not be shown, you would have to be root to see it all.)
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:9050          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN-
tcp6       0      0 ::1:8118                :::*                    LISTEN

and

lsof -i :8118 -i :9050

yielded nothing at all.

I also corrected the forward-socks4a string before running these tests.

The good news is is that this used to work on my previous installation. The bad news is that it did so without me having to do a lot of fiddling around ... so I have no idea how to fix this issue.

Thank you.

AG