Re: KDE is now broken (Fwd: Heads-up: KDE4 hitting testing tonight (UTC) )

Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
> lee wrote:
>> For the second time in this thread: Is there another way to start kde
>> than using kdm (or gdm)? Though they can be nice to have, I don't want
>> to have to use either of them.
>
> Isn't startx or startkde supposed to do that? Login at the console and
> try that.
> FYI, I have kde 4.2 and kdm working, without any tampering with config
> files, but then I do have a mysql server installed. Yet, that can hardly
> be the reason for kdm to fail. Are you sure all libraries used by kdm
> are installed?
>
> Sjoerd

Hi,

FWIW I had problems with kdm when I migrated from kde3.5 to kde4
(Squeeze), and used gdm or "startx" to launch kde sessions. For some
reason "startkde" never did what I expected, never launched a kde4
session for me.

I just removed mysql-server from my system, and the few kde4 parts that
depends on it and I don't use. Everything is working fine here, even
after a reboot.

I'm sorry to say that I never found what was causing me trouble with kdm
at first. After a lot of experiments I ended up reinstalling a new
Squeeze system, copying just my config files and other stuff I needed
(doing the "dpkg --get-selections" magic, and keeping the same /home),
and kde4 now works as expected, including kdm, and without mysql-server.
What I have left on the system is :

aptitude search ~S~i~nmysql
i A libmysqlclient15off
i A mysql-common

There's a few discussions going on about similar problems on the
debian-kde list.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/

Tom