Re: squeeze pkg on lenny: bug?

On Sat, 23 May 2009 16:38 -0700, whollygoat@letterboxes.org wrote:
> Just installed lenny (5.0.0) from CD.  For some
> reason, aptitude did not get installed.  Tried
> to install it, but it had unmet dependencies.
>
> --------------
> # apt-get install aptitude
> [snip]
>   aptitude: Depends: libapt-pkg-libc6.7-6-4.6
>             Depends: libept0 (>= 0.5.22) but it is
> not going to be installed
> --------------
>
> libept0 also depends on libapt-pkg-libc6.7-6-4.6
> which is a virtual package provided by apt. When I
> looked at apt I discovered that version
> 0.7.20.2+squeeze1 was installed.
>
> Web research showed that people had a similar
> problem, but with testing, and the solution was to
> downgrade apt.  I downgraded apt to 0.7.20.2+lenny1
> and was then able to install aptitude.
>
> So why did I have a +squeeze1 pkg on a lenny box?
> After the reboot that finishes the install I went
> to edit /etc/apt/sources.list and was surprise to
> find that it was wonky. No standard repository was
> there, the security entry pointed to squeeze and
> the volatile entry was improperly formatted.
>
> I've used this same CD and the same mirror
> (mirror.peer1.net) to install 4 or 5 other machines
> recently, and this is the first time I've seen
> squeeze weirdness on a lenny install.  Should I

[Replying to my own post as I seem to have deleted
the reply I wanted to respond to.]

I would like to work with developers to see if this
bug can be reproduced and work out a solution, but
it will have to wait until I have another system.
Can't afford the downtime on the system that displayed
this behaviour.

willy
--

  whollygoat@letterboxes.org