Re: Is gnome built on top of twm?

In <[🔎] 3f8297b20905251348x79208dfdo70ba473b5be36355@mail.gmail.com>, Foss User
wrote:
>Please see the following output I generated from Squeeze.
>
>$ aptitude why twm
>i   gnome                     Depends  gnome-desktop-environment (=
> 1:2.24.3~2) i A gnome-desktop-environment Depends  gdm (>= 2.20.9)
>i A gdm                       Depends  gnome-session |
>x-session-manager | x-window-manager | x-terminal-emulator
>i   twm                       Provides x-window-manager
   ^
The lack of an 'A' here is important.  It means that twm was "manually
installed", so apt-get or aptitude won't automatically remove it.

>1. It shows that twm was installed because gdm needs a window manager
>and twm is one such window manager. Does it mean that gnome is
>dependent on twm?

No, it shows one reason why aptitude might have installed twm OR why aptitude
is keeping it installed.

>2. Is it possible to run gnome with some other window manager?

Yes.  Based on that 'why' output, it you have a terminal emulator, window
manager, or session manager installed that isn't twm, you might be able to
remove it without affecting other packages.

Note that the 'why' output only traces one dependency chain, there could be
others.

>3. I am unable to see any twm process in the ps listing. Why?

It probably isn't running.