squeeze pkg on lenny: bug?

Just installed lenny (5.0.0) from CD.  For some
reason, aptitude did not get installed.  Tried
to install it, but it had unmet dependencies.

--------------
# apt-get install aptitude
[snip]
  aptitude: Depends: libapt-pkg-libc6.7-6-4.6
            Depends: libept0 (>= 0.5.22) but it is
not going to be installed
--------------

libept0 also depends on libapt-pkg-libc6.7-6-4.6
which is a virtual package provided by apt. When I
looked at apt I discovered that version
0.7.20.2+squeeze1 was installed.

Web research showed that people had a similar
problem, but with testing, and the solution was to
downgrade apt.  I downgraded apt to 0.7.20.2+lenny1
and was then able to install aptitude.

So why did I have a +squeeze1 pkg on a lenny box?
After the reboot that finishes the install I went
to edit /etc/apt/sources.list and was surprise to
find that it was wonky. No standard repository was
there, the security entry pointed to squeeze and
the volatile entry was improperly formatted.

I've used this same CD and the same mirror
(mirror.peer1.net) to install 4 or 5 other machines
recently, and this is the first time I've seen
squeeze weirdness on a lenny install.  Should I

will
--

  whollygoat@letterboxes.org