Re: Removable media not found on KDE

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 17:24:55 +0100, AG wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

[...]

[ snip: profilerc indeed contained a spurious entry linking
  ooo-writer.desktop and media/removable_unmounted; however, removing
  this entry or even the entire file does not fix the problem. ]

>> I would remove both files and try again. (The new account seems to do
>> fine without them, after all.)
>
> OK - have just mv'd both files to a new name.  USB now brings up the
> option of new device found "open a new window" or "do nothing".
> Selected "open" and the OOo splashscreen came up (which always happens).
> Then an error message that ~:/media/sda1 cannot be found.  Going through
> konqueror through /media there is a directory called Removable ... but
> there's nothing inside.  No sda1 (USB) anywhere.  The USB itself is
> perfectly fine - have checked.
>
> I'm stumped.  If KDE is recreating those *rc files from scratch, how
> does OOo get triggered from a fresh creation?  Is the problem upstream,
> and if so ... what file governs the creation of a medianotifierrc and
> profilerc when these are deleted?

There must be a misconfiguration elsewhere that redefines the OpenAction
for media to "open with openoffice". I have idea where that may be,
unfortunately. At some point in the past your user must have told KDE to
open an unmounted USB stick with openoffice - with the intention to
access a file on the stick, I guess - and KDE has faithfully remembered
that.

$ find ~/.kde/share/ -name \*.desktop

might turn up a suspect for the problematic file, anything that looks
like it could be related to konqueror, media, directories, mounting,
mime types, etc.

Recursive, case-insensitive grepping through ~/.kde/share/ may give a
clue if you search for "openaction", "oowriter", "ooo-" or similar
terms.

Another angle to approach this issue would be to try reproducing the
problem on the clean account of a new user; it should be easier to find
the responsible file if the account has not been used for anything else.
There has to be a way to cause the misconfiguration through creative use
of KDE's first-time pop-up dialog for removable media (assuming your
user did not edit configuration files directly).

          Florian   |