Re: Removable media not found on KDE

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 16:54:31 +0100, AG wrote:
Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 09:14:08 +0100, AG wrote:
Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 23:07:16 +0100, AG wrote:
In KDE3.5.5, running on Etch whenever I load a USB data stick, it triggers OpenOffice.org's splash screen and then reports that media:/sda1 does not exist.

[...]

I would start by taking a close look at this file:

~/.kde/share/config/medianotifierrc

In the backup of my old ~/.kde folder, this file only has one section
called "[Auto Actions]"; it contains 8 lines for different media types,
which all list "#NothinAction", e.g.:

media/removable_mounted=#NothinAction
media/removable_unmounted=#NothinAction

I looked in here and found pretty much what you thought that I would. Here's the content of that file:

[Auto Actions]
media/audiocd=#Service:/usr/share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus/audiocd_play.desktop
media/cdwriter_unmounted=#OpenAction
media/removable_mounted=#OpenAction
media/removable_unmounted=#OpenAction

No surprises there, really.

Only if "#OpenAction" for the unmounted devices is defined correctly so
that they get mounted.

AFAIK, the user customizations for the file associations are saved here:

~/.kde/share/config/profilerc

You should check if this file contains any references to "ooo-*.desktop"
or "media/*".

Did that and viola, this entry was found, near the end of the file:

[media/removable_unmounted - 2]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=ooo-writer.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=2
ServiceType=media/removable_unmounted

[...]

If either file looks corrupted then it might be easiest to move it out
of the way and let KDE recreate it from a good template at the next
start. (Keep the "bad" file around so that you can restore it if
necessary.) Comparing medianotifierrc and profilerc of the two users may
help to get a clue where things go wrong.

I am unable to do so unfortunately. Even though I created a basic user account to test this issue out under a vanilla KDE environment, KDE does not seem to have created those files for the "test" account.

Going back to the above, I have included the entire profilerc file including the original ooo-writer.desktop entry. This is just to ensure that I haven't missed anything out that may have been earlier, but AFAICT this was the one and only ooo entry.

[ snip: That file seems to be a mess full of redundant entries for
  media/* service types. ]

I would remove both files and try again. (The new account seems to do
fine without them, after all.)

OK - have just mv'd both files to a new name. USB now brings up the option of new device found "open a new window" or "do nothing". Selected "open" and the OOo splashscreen came up (which always happens). Then an error message that ~:/media/sda1 cannot be found. Going through konqueror through /media there is a directory called Removable ... but there's nothing inside. No sda1 (USB) anywhere. The USB itself is perfectly fine - have checked.

I'm stumped. If KDE is recreating those *rc files from scratch, how does OOo get triggered from a fresh creation? Is the problem upstream, and if so ... what file governs the creation of a medianotifierrc and profilerc when these are deleted?

Cheers for any thoughts.

AG