Re: Removable media not found on KDE

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 16:54:31 +0100, AG wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

>> I would start by taking a close look at this file:
>>
>> ~/.kde/share/config/medianotifierrc
>>
>> In the backup of my old ~/.kde folder, this file only has one section
>> called "[Auto Actions]"; it contains 8 lines for different media types,
>> which all list "#NothinAction", e.g.:
>>
>> media/removable_mounted=#NothinAction
>> media/removable_unmounted=#NothinAction
>>

> I looked in here and found pretty much what you thought that I would.
> Here's the content of that file:
>
> [Auto Actions]
> media/audiocd=#Service:/usr/share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus/audiocd_play.desktop
> media/cdwriter_unmounted=#OpenAction
> media/removable_mounted=#OpenAction
> media/removable_unmounted=#OpenAction
>
> No surprises there, really.

Only if "#OpenAction" for the unmounted devices is defined correctly so
that they get mounted.

>> AFAIK, the user customizations for the file associations are saved here:
>>
>> ~/.kde/share/config/profilerc
>>
>> You should check if this file contains any references to "ooo-*.desktop"
>> or "media/*".
>>

> Did that and viola, this entry was found, near the end of the file:
>
> [media/removable_unmounted - 2]
> AllowAsDefault=true
> Application=ooo-writer.desktop
> GenericServiceType=Application
> Preference=2
> ServiceType=media/removable_unmounted

[...]

>> If either file looks corrupted then it might be easiest to move it out
>> of the way and let KDE recreate it from a good template at the next
>> start. (Keep the "bad" file around so that you can restore it if
>> necessary.) Comparing medianotifierrc and profilerc of the two users may
>> help to get a clue where things go wrong.
>>

> I am unable to do so unfortunately.  Even though I created a basic user
> account to test this issue out under a vanilla KDE environment, KDE does
> not seem to have created those files for the "test" account.
>
> Going back to the above, I have included the entire profilerc file
> including the original ooo-writer.desktop entry.  This is just to ensure
> that I haven't missed anything out that may have been earlier, but
> AFAICT this was the one and only ooo entry.

[ snip: That file seems to be a mess full of redundant entries for
  media/* service types. ]

I would remove both files and try again. (The new account seems to do
fine without them, after all.)

          Florian   |