Removable media not found on KDE

Hi List

In KDE3.5.5, running on Etch whenever I load a USB data stick, it triggers OpenOffice.org's splash screen and then reports that media:/sda1 does not exist.

The same USB stick loads fine and is accessible in Gnome, so it would seem restricted to KDE and I suspect that somewhere along the line a file association error has been made. However, going into KControlCentre/ Components/ File Associations and changing the order of actions associated with a mounted removable device to "open file", clicking apply, the system updates its settings. But the problem persists, and when I go back into KControlCenter, etc. OOo is at the top of the list of associations again. This is the same regardless of whether or not I go in via sudo or as a regular user.

How can I fix this?  Any pointers would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

AG