Re: Removable media not found on KDE

AG wrote:
Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 09:14:08 +0100, AG wrote:
Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 23:07:16 +0100, AG wrote:
In KDE3.5.5, running on Etch whenever I load a USB data stick, it triggers OpenOffice.org's splash screen and then reports that media:/sda1 does not exist.

[...]

If I remember correctly (I have KDE 4.2 now, so I cannot check anymore),
the most important settings are the ones here:

K-Menu > Control Center > Peripherals > Storage Media

[...]

I tried going via the Kcontrol route as you suggested, and there are only 2 options: "open in a new window" and "do nothing". I cannot change the order of these options. The USB stick still throws up the error message.

Onto the second suggestion. I created a new user and the USB stick opened as one would expect - a new window and no OOo. It would seem therefore to be related to the existing user, but the apparent options for doing anything about it seem very limited.

At least we know now that we have to focus on the configuration of the
user.

That's true, and specifically within the KDE environment, because as noted - in Gnome, it all seems fine. Somewhere along the line the associations seem to have become quite screwed up.
Is there an *rc file in the bowels of KDE that I can edit perhaps? I looked through the available directories in .kde and couldn't see anything appropriate, but then that is probably me not knowing really what I am looking for.

I would start by taking a close look at this file:

~/.kde/share/config/medianotifierrc

In the backup of my old ~/.kde folder, this file only has one section
called "[Auto Actions]"; it contains 8 lines for different media types,
which all list "#NothinAction", e.g.:

media/removable_mounted=#NothinAction
media/removable_unmounted=#NothinAction

I looked in here and found pretty much what you thought that I would. Here's the content of that file:

[Auto Actions]
media/audiocd=#Service:/usr/share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus/audiocd_play.desktop
media/cdwriter_unmounted=#OpenAction
media/removable_mounted=#OpenAction
media/removable_unmounted=#OpenAction

No surprises there, really.
AFAIK, the user customizations for the file associations are saved here:

~/.kde/share/config/profilerc

You should check if this file contains any references to "ooo-*.desktop"
or "media/*".

Did that and viola, this entry was found, near the end of the file:

[media/removable_unmounted - 2]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=ooo-writer.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=2
ServiceType=media/removable_unmounted

I could attach the entire file, but this is the only section that has anything about ooo in it.

So, I backed up this file and renamed it, copied everything over to a new file saved as profilerc and changed the section above to this:

[media/removable_unmounted - 2]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=konq_treeview.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=2
ServiceType=media/removable_unmounted

On the assumption that I would want the removable device (USB stick) to open in konqueror.

I saved the file, logged out and back in, but still the same old problem.

So I changed the name of the new profilerc and logged back out/ in again but still OOo is being invoked to open up the removable media.

If either file looks corrupted then it might be easiest to move it out
of the way and let KDE recreate it from a good template at the next
start. (Keep the "bad" file around so that you can restore it if
necessary.) Comparing medianotifierrc and profilerc of the two users may
help to get a clue where things go wrong.

I am unable to do so unfortunately. Even though I created a basic user account to test this issue out under a vanilla KDE environment, KDE does not seem to have created those files for the "test" account.

Going back to the above, I have included the entire profilerc file including the original ooo-writer.desktop entry. This is just to ensure that I haven't missed anything out that may have been earlier, but AFAICT this was the one and only ooo entry.

[application/fdf - 1]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=1
ServiceType=application/fdf

[application/mathml+xml - 1]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=kde-kfmclient_html.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=3
ServiceType=application/mathml+xml

[application/mathml+xml - 2]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=iceweasel.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=2
ServiceType=application/mathml+xml

[application/mathml+xml - 3]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=epiphany.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=1
ServiceType=application/mathml+xml

[application/mathml+xml - 4]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=khtml.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=3
ServiceType=application/mathml+xml

[application/mathml+xml - 5]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=katepart.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=2
ServiceType=application/mathml+xml

[application/mathml+xml - 6]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=kformulapart.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=1
ServiceType=application/mathml+xml

[application/msword - 1]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=ooo-writer.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=2
ServiceType=application/msword

[application/msword - 2]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=kde-kword.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=1
ServiceType=application/msword

[application/msword - 3]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=kwordpart.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=1
ServiceType=application/msword

[application/pdf - 1]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=1
ServiceType=application/pdf

[application/pdx - 1]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=1
ServiceType=application/pdx

[application/vnd.adobe.pdx - 1]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=1
ServiceType=application/vnd.adobe.pdx

[application/vnd.adobe.xdp+xml - 1]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=1
ServiceType=application/vnd.adobe.xdp+xml

[application/vnd.adobe.xfdf - 1]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=1
ServiceType=application/vnd.adobe.xfdf

[application/vnd.fdf - 1]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=1
ServiceType=application/vnd.fdf

[application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml - 1]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=iceweasel.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=3
ServiceType=application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml

[application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml - 2]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=kde-kfmclient_html.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=2
ServiceType=application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml

[application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml - 3]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=epiphany.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=1
ServiceType=application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml

[application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml - 4]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=khtml.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=2
ServiceType=application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml

[application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml - 5]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=katepart.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=1
ServiceType=application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml

[application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text - 1]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=ooo-writer.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=2
ServiceType=application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text

[application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text - 2]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=kde-kword.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=1
ServiceType=application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text

[application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text - 3]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=kwordpart.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=1
ServiceType=application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text

[application/xdp - 1]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=1
ServiceType=application/xdp

[application/xfdf - 1]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=1
ServiceType=application/xfdf

[application/xhtml+xml - 1]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=kde-kfmclient_html.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=3
ServiceType=application/xhtml+xml

[application/xhtml+xml - 2]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=iceweasel.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=2
ServiceType=application/xhtml+xml

[application/xhtml+xml - 3]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=epiphany.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=1
ServiceType=application/xhtml+xml

[application/xhtml+xml - 4]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=khtml.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=2
ServiceType=application/xhtml+xml

[application/xhtml+xml - 5]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=katepart.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=1
ServiceType=application/xhtml+xml

[media/removable_mounted - 1]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=3
ServiceType=media/removable_mounted

[media/removable_mounted - 10]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=konsolepart.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=4
ServiceType=media/removable_mounted

[media/removable_mounted - 11]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=photobook.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=3
ServiceType=media/removable_mounted

[media/removable_mounted - 12]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=fsview_part.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=2
ServiceType=media/removable_mounted

[media/removable_mounted - 13]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=konq_sidebartng.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=1
ServiceType=media/removable_mounted

[media/removable_mounted - 2]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=ooo-writer.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=2
ServiceType=media/removable_mounted

[media/removable_mounted - 3]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=kde-kfmclient_dir.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=1
ServiceType=media/removable_mounted

[media/removable_mounted - 4]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=konq_iconview.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=10
ServiceType=media/removable_mounted

[media/removable_mounted - 5]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=konq_multicolumnview.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=9
ServiceType=media/removable_mounted

[media/removable_mounted - 6]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=konq_treeview.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=8
ServiceType=media/removable_mounted

[media/removable_mounted - 7]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=konq_infolistview.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=7
ServiceType=media/removable_mounted

[media/removable_mounted - 8]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=konq_detailedlistview.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=6
ServiceType=media/removable_mounted

[media/removable_mounted - 9]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=konq_textview.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=5
ServiceType=media/removable_mounted

[media/removable_unmounted - 1]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=3
ServiceType=media/removable_unmounted

[media/removable_unmounted - 10]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=konsolepart.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=4
ServiceType=media/removable_unmounted

[media/removable_unmounted - 11]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=photobook.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=3
ServiceType=media/removable_unmounted

[media/removable_unmounted - 12]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=fsview_part.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=2
ServiceType=media/removable_unmounted

[media/removable_unmounted - 13]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=konq_sidebartng.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=1
ServiceType=media/removable_unmounted

[media/removable_unmounted - 2]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=ooo-writer.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=2
ServiceType=media/removable_unmounted

[media/removable_unmounted - 3]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=kde-kfmclient_dir.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=1
ServiceType=media/removable_unmounted

[media/removable_unmounted - 4]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=konq_iconview.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=10
ServiceType=media/removable_unmounted

[media/removable_unmounted - 5]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=konq_multicolumnview.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=9
ServiceType=media/removable_unmounted

[media/removable_unmounted - 6]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=konq_treeview.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=8
ServiceType=media/removable_unmounted

[media/removable_unmounted - 7]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=konq_infolistview.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=7
ServiceType=media/removable_unmounted

[media/removable_unmounted - 8]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=konq_detailedlistview.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=6
ServiceType=media/removable_unmounted

[media/removable_unmounted - 9]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=konq_textview.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=5
ServiceType=media/removable_unmounted

[text/html - 1]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=kde-kfmclient_html.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=3
ServiceType=text/html

[text/html - 2]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=iceweasel.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=2
ServiceType=text/html

[text/html - 3]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=epiphany.desktop
GenericServiceType=Application
Preference=1
ServiceType=text/html

[text/html - 4]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=khtml.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=2
ServiceType=text/html

[text/html - 5]
AllowAsDefault=true
Application=katepart.desktop
GenericServiceType=KParts/ReadOnlyPart
Preference=1
ServiceType=text/html

Thanks for any further thoughts.

Cheers

AG

Thinking this email through again, I decided to alter the medianotifierrc to default to #NothinAction just to see what would happen. It worked - because nothing happened, the drive wasn't mounted at all - here's the fstab:

#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/hdb2       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
/dev/hdb4       /home           ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/hdb3       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hda        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0

Because nothing was mounted OOo wasn't triggered. However, this will probably mean having to manually mount the system and then I don't know if OOo will be triggered as a consequence. Is there a specific set of instructions to enter into medianotifierrc? It appears that #OpenAction is a call to something else that is prefigured. I followed this up on my system, which has recently been upgraded to KDE4.2.2, and the one line entry in my medianotifierrc was:

   media/removable_unmounted=#OpenAction

Unfortunately, my existing profilerc has no mention of removable media so I can't draw anything further from there.

Anyway, just an update.

Cheers.

AG