Re: chrony discarding servers

On Fri, 22 May 2009 02:01:05 -0400
Daryl Styrk <darylstyrk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 01:20:56AM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> >
> > Just to go through the obvious, since you haven't told us how you're
> > connecting to the internet: *are* you connecting through ppp?  If so,
> > can you provide the relevant syslog from the period right before,
> > during and after you bring up the connection?  The log should give us a
> > clue as to why the sources aren't going online.
> >
> > Celejar
>
> Not exactly knowing what ppp is I googled and I am not.  So I believe
> if-up/if-down is responsible?  Looking in both of those files there is not
> a corresponding file to chrony.  Would I be able to copy
> /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/chrony to /etc/if-up.d/chrony? (and ip-down.d) I don't
> know much about scripts, the only line that stands out to me that may not
> work as expected is touch /var/run/chrony-ppp-up

Here's your problem; chrony won't go online unless you tell it to,
and as you've realized, the ppp scripts shipped with chrony will only be
useful, in their default configuration, if your network connection is
ppp.  Your suggestion about copying the script is right on target; I've
done exactly that, although I still never got it to work correctly,
since I didn't try hardcoded IP addresses, as you're doing.  I ended up
just telling wicd, which manages my wireless connections, to restart
chrony upon connection.

I think that even the 'touch' line (and the corresponding one in the
disconnection script) will work fine, if you always connect to the
network the same way.  If you want, you can change the file being used
as a semaphore to something more descriptive, just be sure to change
the filename in the disconnection script accordingly.

> So what I'm starting to understand is by default install chrony assumes
> limited connectivity with a PPP connection (e.g. dialup) with the correct
> scripts to handle such circumstances.  However, because I do not use PPP
> but still have a somewhat limited connection depending on my location to a
> wired or wireless access point chrony isn't aware (yet) if I'm connected
> or not.  Which still leaves me somewhat confused as to what is telling

Exactly, and I'm in the same situation.

> chrony there is a connection when I restart the service, as the servers are
> listed to start in an offline state until chrony is told I am now
> connected via /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/chrony.  If that mouthful makes sense.

The ppp software, upon a ppp connection, invokes the scripts that are
found in/etc/ppp/ip-up.d/ (and similarly for disconnection).  Other
network management software will generally offer similar
possibilities.  As I mentioned, I use wicd, which lets one specify such
scripts.  The /etc/network/if-*.d/ directories are used with ifupdown
and /etc/network/interfaces configuration; see 'man interfaces' for
more information.

Celejar