Re: KDE is now broken (Fwd: Heads-up: KDE4 hitting testing tonight (UTC) )

AG wrote:
 > Thanks H.S.  Good advice and can dispense with those suggested
> components of KDE without any regret.
>
> Couple of quickies:
>
> (1) How would I track down the guilty metapackage?

hmm .. good question. I do it the hard way, but the apt gurus here may
be able to tell you how to it the smart way. I just do:
$> sudo aptitude -s purge <package I desire to purge>

and see what else it is going to remove. I check those package and if
some of them are important looking (e.g. gnome-desktop-environment), I
check those packages with:
$> apt-cache show <package name>

the description there then tells me if it is a meta package and whether
it can be safely removed.

One runs in to this problem quite often if one is trying to remove
individual components of a desktop env.

> (2) I use apt-get
> generally and you're suggesting aptitude -s.  Are there any likely
> hiccups mixing package management systems?

Not that I know of. The only thing I am aware of is that if I install a
package with aptitude, and if it pulls in other packages as well, then
those package also get removed if I later use aptitude to remove the
package I installed earlier. Helps keep the system clean. Not sure if
apt-get does that.

Besides, aptitude is recommended over apt-get for quite a while now. I
am sure there are other important differences.

Regards.

ever having been read.