Re: chrony discarding servers

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 12:19:15AM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> [please reply to the list and not to me]
>
> Your chrony.conf has two sources, both set to 'offline'.  What do you
> mean that it's set to always be online?

Sorry for the off-list reply.. Meant to hit <shift>+<L> here on mutt..

I was reading the following 3.2.1 from
http://chrony.sunsite.dk/guide/chrony.html which states....

However, the following issues need to be addressed:

   1. Your computer probably doesn't have DNS access whilst offline to
turn the machine names into IP addresses.
   2. Your computer will keep trying to contact the servers to obtain
timestamps, even whilst offline. If you operate a dial-on-demand system,
things are even worse, because the link to the internet will keep getting
established.

For this reason, it would be better to specify this part of your
configuration file in the following way:

server 1.2.3.4 offline
server 5.6.7.8 offline
server 9.10.11.12 offline

Because numeric IP addresses have been used, the first problem is
overcome. The offline keyword indicates that the servers start in an
offline state, and that they should not be contacted until chronyd
receives notification that the link to the internet is present.

Which seems logical to me because I use a laptop and not aways around an
AP.  Section 3.2.2 contains the instructions to notify chronyd the system
is connected via /etc/ppp/ip-up or as it would be on Debian
/etc/ppp/ip-up/chrony which contains the following.

#!/bin/sh
# This script tells chronyd that the connection is up so that it can
# contact the server.  John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> 1998-2003
# Any possessor of a copy of this program may treat it as if it
# were in the public domain.  I waive all rights.

/bin/pidof chronyd > /dev/null || exit 0
KEY=$(awk '$1 ~ /^commandkey$/ { print $2; exit}' /etc/chrony/chrony.conf)
PASSWORD=`awk '$1 ~ /^'$KEY'$/ {print $2; exit}' /etc/chrony/chrony.keys`
/usr/bin/chronyc << EOF
password $PASSWORD
online
burst 5/10
quit
EOF
touch /var/run/chrony-ppp-up
exit 0

So it would seem with a default installation everything should work as
expected.

- --
Daryl Styrk
Naples, FL USA