Re: KDE is now broken (Fwd: Heads-up: KDE4 hitting testing tonight (UTC) )

AG wrote:
> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> In <[🔎] 20090521183512.GB7739@cat.rubenette.is-a-geek.com>, lee wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, I removed them and now KDE is broken. I even tried to get just
>>> konqueror back to use as a web browser, but that doesn't work without
>>> the mysql-server :(
>>>

>> That's simply not true.  I've been running 4.2 since it was in
>> experimental and I don't have mysql-anything installed there.
>> Konqueror works fine as does kmail.  Calendar and address book are not
>> installed because they both need akonadi-server.
>>

> Actually, I was quite surprised to find that mysql was installed and the
> daemon started on every boot up with the recent KDE upgrade.  Trying to
> remove mysql wants to remove the entire KDE collection, which is not
> what I want either.  I am keeping the mysql because I am not skilled
> enough to surgically remove mysql without hosing my system, so the
> lesser of the two evils, I guess.

If you are not using the follow, you need to remove them to not need
mysql I suppose:
akonadi-server
kaddressbook
kaddressbook-plugins
karm
kdepim-kfile-plugins
kdepim-kio-plugins
kitchensync
korn
ksync
libkdepim1a

In addition, you may have installed a meta-package that pulls in a whole
bunch of packages automatically. Removing that meta package should not
be a problem in most circumstances. To be safe, you may use the "-s"
flag with aptitude to see what will happen with the removal without
actually making it happen.

Regards.

ever having been read.