Re: Using terminal output as input

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 10:24:39AM EDT, Barclay, Daniel wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
> > On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 04:13:16PM EDT, Barclay, Daniel wrote:
> >> Dotan Cohen wrote:

> >> Are you asking about manually selecting part of the output of a
> >> command(s) and using it to assemble another command (as opposed to
> >> piping the whole output from one command into another)?
> >
> > That's pretty much how I understood it, although I disagree with the "as
> > opposed to".. I don't see an "opposition"... more of an extension to the
> > traditional pipe.
>
> How do you disagree that manually copying and pasting command output vs.
> vs. piping complete, unseen command output are very different?

I didn't realize you meant using copy/paste - which obviously is totally
different from piping the output of a program to the input of another
program.

Compare:

$ cat Makefile | vim -

with

$ less Makefile

.. followed by a gnu copy/paste of the contents of "Makefile" into an
empty vim buffer for instance.

Using the second method, all those pesky <TAB> aka "^I" characters have
been replaced by spaces.

CJ