Re: Using terminal output as input

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 04:13:16PM EDT, Barclay, Daniel wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:

> >> If you told us exactly what you want to achieve, we might be able
> >> to help you better.

The OP did say exactly what he wants - that the output of one command
should be made available to the user so that he can edit it before
feeding it back to the shell.

> > I just want to know in a very general sense how to use the output of
> > commands without typing them in manually. It seemed to me that as
> > *nix was developed for the CLI interface (with GUIs coming around
> > only years later) that this would be possible.
> >
> > I do not have a specific task at hand.

> You haven't resolved one particular bit of ambiguity in your question:

My understanding is that he is talking about something that amounts to
an "interactive pipe" where the output of a program is made available to
the user in an editable buffer that he can play with before feeding back
to another program's input.

> Are you asking about manually selecting part of the output of a
> command(s) and using it to assemble another command (as opposed to
> piping the whole output from one command into another)?

That's pretty much how I understood it, although I disagree with the "as
opposed to".. I don't see an "opposition"... more of an extension to the
traditional pipe.

Not sure whether it's feasible - *nix utilities were designed around the
traditional pipe model where the _raw_ output of a program, not its
printed translation is fed to another program, or even whether it is
desirable..

> If so, another possible answer for you is gpm.  (On a virtual console,
> lets you select and copy text and paste it into the command line being
> assembled (or into whatever process is reading from your virtual
> console) using the mouse.)

I also suggested the copying/pasting approach via gnu/screen's mechanism
but that's not really what the OP was asking and maybe there should be a
smarter alternative..??

CJ