Re: Unexplained changes in Gnome functionality

Dne, 11. 05. 2009 16:21:05 je Klistvud napisal(a):
> Dne, 11. 05. 2009 11:04:47 je Andrew G napisal(a):
>
> > 1) When I right-click on an image file in my home directory in
> order
> > access the properties of that image to add notes to it, the whole
> set
> > of
> > desktop icons, including my home directory and Conky all disappear
> > for
> > a few
> > seconds and then re-appear (except when it does, Conky has been
> > killed).
>
> As opposed to KDE, Conky is a full-blown PITA to configure in Gnome.
> It's apparently due to the different mechanism used to draw the
> desktop
> background by these two desktop environments. This is especially
> obvious when you try to get Conky display as a "transparent",
> "backdrop" window, blending nicely into the background wallpaper. I
> know, I've been using Conky both on KDE4.x (a
> sorry excuse for a
> DE, but Conky works a treat) and Gnome (never got Conky to work
> except
>
> as
> a stand-alone window with title bar and all - which has never been
> what
> I wanted it for). Maybe that's the reason why many Gnomists use
> gkrellm
> instead??
>
> > 2) When double-clicking on an image file, EOG is opened as the
> > default
> > image
> > viewer.
>
> Isn't there an option/checkbox to "always open with" when you select
> "Open with?" If so, you may be lucky digging through the settings in
> Gnome configuration manager (or what the heck it's called), you know,
> the program that manipulates the Gnome "registry".
>

> > 3) Despite setting up a script to be called when Gnome starts up,
> > Conky
> > appears briefly and then is replaced/ over-written by the desktop
> > image.
>
> This is a corollary of point 1) actually.
>
> > 4) Finally, icons from removable media are not being placed on my
> > desktop
> > like they used to.
>
> Have already seen the same exact complaint (on this very same list if
> I'm not mistaken), but can't really say anything, as it has never
> happened to me (yet...)
>
> > I don't know if there is a secret code or something that I am
> > supposed to be using to get some response?  I am using a Debian
> > system, the
> > Debian community is supposed to be helpful, I am asking questions
> > politely
> > and giving as much info as possible.
>
> I get the exact same feeling sometimes. It would seem we're both
> missing something here. Yes, it may well be a secret code. Sheer,
> untainted love for the distro apparently just isn't enough. It's also
> been said "thou shalt never post during a weekend/holiday". Most
> [...]

Just an update: if you don't want conky to just "briefly appear after
startup and then disappear forever", you should launch it with a line
such as:

bash -c "sleep 10; conky -c .my-conky-config-file"

In other words, conky MUST be started AFTER Nautilus, otherwise it will
just get obscured/overdrawn by Nautilus.

Good Luck.

--
Certifiable Loonix User 481801