Re: Is Network-Manager freezing my system?

gn643202 schreef:
> thveillon.debian wrote:
>> Patrick Wiseman wrote:
>>> ... Yesterday, my
>>> system froze twice, i.e. became completely unresponsive, the caps lock
>>> LED flashing, as it does on this machine when it's frozen.  (A quick
>>> Google search suggests that's a sign of kernel panic.)  The only
>>> remedy is to hold down the power button until it powers down.  The
>>> reason I suspect Network-Manager is twofold: (1) the freeze only
>>> happened when I had the machine hard-wired to my network, and (2)
>>> syslog showed lots of wlan0 activity - trying to connect, being denied
>>> a DHCP address - just before the freeze occurs.  Has anyone else had a
>>> similar experience?  I don't want to file a bug report against
>>> Network-Manager unless I'm pretty sure it's the culprit.
>>
>> it was happening to me with an atheros chip and ath5k module. Removing
>> NetworkManager in favor of WICD solved the issue, so I am pretty sure it
>> was the trouble maker.   ...
>> Tom
>
>    I have had the same problem.
>    Searched Synaptic but could not find the WICD package in Lenny.

My laptop was hard freezing sporadically, usually at home with a wired
network. Yet, with the update today (in squeeze) of network-manager, it
crashed every few minutes. Disabling wireless solved that, and is hasn't
appeared again after installing wicd and enabling wireless again.
Searching on packages.debian.org shows that wicd for stable is in
backports: http://packages.debian.org/lenny-backports/wicd

Sjoerd

PS. Can somebody file a bug report on network-manager? I have no time
this weekend especially since the reportbug package is currently not
working for me in testing (bug #524297).