Re: Is Network-Manager freezing my system?

gn643202 wrote:
> thveillon.debian wrote:
>> Patrick Wiseman wrote:
>>> ... Yesterday, my
>>> system froze twice, i.e. became completely unresponsive, the caps lock
>>> LED flashing, as it does on this machine when it's frozen.  (A quick
>>> Google search suggests that's a sign of kernel panic.)  The only
>>> remedy is to hold down the power button until it powers down.  The
>>> reason I suspect Network-Manager is twofold: (1) the freeze only
>>> happened when I had the machine hard-wired to my network, and (2)
>>> syslog showed lots of wlan0 activity - trying to connect, being denied
>>> a DHCP address - just before the freeze occurs.  Has anyone else had a
>>> similar experience?  I don't want to file a bug report against
>>> Network-Manager unless I'm pretty sure it's the culprit.
>>
>> it was happening to me with an atheros chip and ath5k module. Removing
>> NetworkManager in favor of WICD solved the issue, so I am pretty sure it
>> was the trouble maker.   ...
>> Tom
>
>    I have had the same problem.
>    Searched Synaptic but could not find the WICD package in Lenny.

I used to grab it from the upstream website while I was on Lenny:

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

never had any problem as long as I put NetworkManager out of the way
properly. It's a pity it's not in stable.
Alternatively you may pick it from testing or sid, it's really light on
dependencies.

Tom