Re: Is Network-Manager freezing my system?

Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I have a Lenovo T61p running an amd64 testing system.  Yesterday, my
> system froze twice, i.e. became completely unresponsive, the caps lock
> LED flashing, as it does on this machine when it's frozen.  (A quick
> Google search suggests that's a sign of kernel panic.)  The only
> remedy is to hold down the power button until it powers down.  The
> reason I suspect Network-Manager is twofold: (1) the freeze only
> happened when I had the machine hard-wired to my network, and (2)
> syslog showed lots of wlan0 activity - trying to connect, being denied
> a DHCP address - just before the freeze occurs.  Has anyone else had a
> similar experience?  I don't want to file a bug report against
> Network-Manager unless I'm pretty sure it's the culprit.
>
> Patrick

Hi,

it was happening to me with an atheros chip and ath5k module. Removing
NetworkManager in favor of WICD solved the issue, so I am pretty sure it
was the trouble maker.
Before the freezes I used to see a lot of rapid disconnect/connect
cycles in the logs.
This first happened on an Ubuntu Intrepid box (wife's box), and the
issue is still there in "Jaunty", so it would be no surprise that it
shows up in Debian too. At the time Ub forums were full of likewise
experiences with various wifi chips, in almost every case shifting to
WICD solved the problem...

Hope it helps,

Tom