Re: Is Network-Manager freezing my system?

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Daryl Styrk <darylstyrk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 11:53:58AM -0400, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> I have a Lenovo T61p running an amd64 testing system.  Yesterday, my
>> system froze twice, i.e. became completely unresponsive, the caps lock
>> LED flashing, as it does on this machine when it's frozen.  (A quick
>> Google search suggests that's a sign of kernel panic.)  The only
>> remedy is to hold down the power button until it powers down.  The
>> reason I suspect Network-Manager is twofold: (1) the freeze only
>> happened when I had the machine hard-wired to my network, and (2)
>> syslog showed lots of wlan0 activity - trying to connect, being denied
>> a DHCP address - just before the freeze occurs.  Has anyone else had a
>> similar experience?  I don't want to file a bug report against
>> Network-Manager unless I'm pretty sure it's the culprit.
>>
>> Patrick
>>

> Also on a T61 and I have not experienced this, however instead of holding
> down the power button you should try to use the <SysRq>+<b> to bring the
> system down safely.  There are a couple other threads that have some more
> options.  One was just discusses not that long ago..

> Looks like I should be syncing 's' before 'b' for reboot.. Good to know.

Thanks for the info - my system comes up cleanly after I power down,
though, and I'm pretty sure that the keyboard is completely
unresponsive when it freezes like this.  I'll see if it reproduces
later (when I have access to my wired network) and try your
suggestion.

Patrick