System Lockup

I just experienced my first ever system lockup. No mouse, no keyboard with an Iceape screen open.

I had saved a posting regarding SYSRQ and I tried Alt-Sysrq k then Alt-Sysrq i and the Alt-Sysrq b with no response. In desperation I crashed and rebooted the system. I am using linux-image 2.6.21-2-686. When the system came up I entered grep SYSRQ /boot/config-$(uname -r) and got the response CONFIG_MAGIC-SYSRQ=y

So its there. Either I did something wrong or it doesn't work with the problem I encountered.

Tom George