Re: squeeze, dns, fetchmail error

On Wed, 6 May 2009, Hugh Lawson wrote:

How to troubleshoot this error?  I've done hours of googling but can't
find anything that helps.

fetchmail: couldn't find canonical DNS name of pop-server.triad.rr.com
(pop-server.triad.rr.com): Name or service not known
fetchmail: Query status=11 (DNS)

If I replace "pop-server.triad.rr.com" with the IP in .fetchmailrc, then
fetchmail works fine, and very fast. ping and nslookup get the dns done
as expected.

Here is my ~/.fetchmailrc:

# pop-server.triad.rr.com
# IP is 71.74.56.73

poll pop-server.triad.rr.com  proto pop3  auth password
	user "hlawson"  password  "PASSWD"
	sslproto ssl23

Something very similar happens with emacs gnus in relation to its news
server.  This is a squeeze trial install. My regular Debian is lenny,
and it works fine.

guess:

Is all the DNS servers in the resolv.conf correctly reporing the name resolution ? If no can you remove all but one of the DNS entries in the
resolv.conf and check if fetchmail works !

Alternatively:
 You can install strace and check what is exactly happening (you can see
the connect command and then who is replying that the DNS resoltion failed

For some reason, squeeze puts the ethernet interface on eth0, while in
lenny it's eth1.

Hugh