Re: hdv camcorder (hv20) to dvd

On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 11:40:39PM +0200, Leonardo Canducci wrote:
> I have grabbed some .m2t clips from a hv20 camcorder. I'd like to put
> them toghether (no editing right now) and save the whole file in a dvd
> video.
> I'd like to:
> 1. join the m2t files (17GB total)
> 2. encode them with the right tool to fit in a dvd
> 3. author a dvd video
> How would you proceed?

Kdenlive will handle .m2t directly, but you need a fairly beefy CPU to
handle the high def. My system grinds to a halt. Not fun.

What I ended up doing for a smallish DVD job was to grab a copy of
hdffxvrt from <http://code.google.com/p/hdffxvrt/>, change the default
resolution (MACRO_SIZE_MEDIUM) to 720x480 for NTSC DVDs, and then
pre-converted my M2Ts to mjpej for editing. This can be done in the
background while I do something else.

With your video mjpeg format, you can use pretty much any DVD
authoring method you like. I stuck with kdenlive for the editing and
then, since I have mythtv installed already, used mytharchive for a
quick and dirty DVD.

HTH
dt

--
Dave Thayer           | Whenever you read a good book, it's like the
Denver, Colorado USA  | author is right there, in the room talking to