Re: network configuration for Eth0

On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 19:04:25 +0300, Andrei Popescu (andreimpopescu@gmail.com) wrote:

[snip]

> Nitpick: 'network' and 'broadcast' are optional and gateway is necessary
> only if this interface is used to connect to the internet.

Good points.  I like nitpicking ;-)

As an aside, I use static IPs on everything here with no wireless and
all manually configured as per my example.

The only exception to this is a recently acquired laptop with which I
wanted to use both wireless and DHCP and be able to control it all from
a GUI interface; something I have not done before.  I tried and failed
with the kde front-end to network manager and in the end purged all
traces of them and installing wicd ("aptitude show wicd" describes it
well).  It is really excellent and just works, seamlessly restoring
networking after suspending and so on and allowing easy switching from
wired to wireless and so on.

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
Please reply to the list only.  Do NOT send copies directly to me.