Re: network configuration for Eth0

On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 05:36:06 -0400, Paul Cartwright (ale@pcartwright.com) wrote:

> I seemed to have a problem with my static setup of eth0 that stopped my debian
> lenny setup from coming up correctly. I kept getting errors in logs.
> To redo my network config, just eth0, what is the best way to do it. I tried
> dpkg-reconfigure ifupdown, but that didn't change the interfaces file.
> this is what I had that didn't work:
> #static setup
> #auto eth0
> #iface eth0 inet static
> #address
> #netmask
> #broadcast
> here is what I have now:
> what's wrong with it?

As others have commented Paul, there's not a lot here to go on.  Your
setup which didn't work is all commented out and the rest is just blank.

What I would expect to see is something a bit like this:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static

(assuming you have a router of that IP address of course).

If you *do* have network-manager installed then this could be the cause
of many of your woes.

Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
Please reply to the list only.  Do NOT send copies directly to me.