Re: network configuration for Eth0

On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 05:36:06 -0400, Paul Cartwright (ale@pcartwright.com) wrote:

> I seemed to have a problem with my static setup of eth0 that stopped my debian
> lenny setup from coming up correctly. I kept getting errors in logs.
> To redo my network config, just eth0, what is the best way to do it. I tried
> dpkg-reconfigure ifupdown, but that didn't change the interfaces file.
> this is what I had that didn't work:
> #static setup
> #auto eth0
> #iface eth0 inet static
> #address 192.168.10.103
> #netmask 255.255.255.0
> #broadcast 192.168.10.255
> here is what I have now:
>
> what's wrong with it?

As others have commented Paul, there's not a lot here to go on.  Your
setup which didn't work is all commented out and the rest is just blank.

What I would expect to see is something a bit like this:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.10.103
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.10.1
network 192.168.10.0
broadcast 192.168.10.255

(assuming you have a router of that IP address of course).

If you *do* have network-manager installed then this could be the cause
of many of your woes.

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
Please reply to the list only.  Do NOT send copies directly to me.