Re: Debian's glacial movement--a rant

<posted & mailed>

Freddy Freeloader wrote:

> I've never been pissed off at Debian before but I guess there is always
> a first.
>
> I'm experiencing a bug in Gnucash that appeared a couple of days ago on
> my system that makes Gnucash completely unusable for me.  I turned in a
> bug report on Friday, checked on it yesterday, and by today the bug had
> been blocked from being displayed.  It could be found by searching
> Debian's bug tracker, but only if you know the bug id number.   If you
> just search for bugs in Gnucash the bug does not appear to exist.
>
> The bug was closed, and blocked, because it's been fixed upstream in
> version 2.2.9 which was released by Gnucash in February of this year.
>
> Great.   The bug has been fixed.   Why it needed to be hidden from being
> displayed is puzzler for me, but that's the way it is.
>
> Now the bad news.
>
> Since Gnucash in both Sid and Sqeeze is now at version 2.2.6 I only have
> to wait until Debian works through versions 2.2.7 and 2.2.8 before
> Gnucash in Debian finally becomes usable for me again in version
> 2.2.9.   As Sid is "only" 9 months behind Gnucash's release schedule at
> this point I guess the fact that all my business records for the last
> couple of years are in Gnucash means I'll be able to start doing my
> business accounting again sometime after the first of next year, at a
> minimum, if I wait for Debian....

Things like this could be such a drag in the business environment.

Normally, I suggest to start updating machine(s) when testing is in
the "frozen" state. Then check if all the critical software is functioning
as it should. If not, file relevant bugs immediately. That way, when a new
stable version is released, you can be assured that all the applications
are working seamlessly.

Anyway, here are my suggestions ...

1) Compile it from source, install it in say /opt.

2) If (1) is not an option, try to install it from backports. If the package
is not available in backports already, request for it on their mailing
list. Someone might package it for you.

3) Try to see if the problem goes away by installing a older version of
gnucash.

hth
raju
--