Re: debiantutorials.org seeks input and new blood

Miles Fidelman wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
>> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

>> <SNIP>
>>
>>> I'm one to read the 1000 page book cover-to-cover.  That way, I'll
>>> rememeber a significant amount and know exactly where to look when I
>>> need something I don't remember.
>>>

>> Now a days google is a *huge* help in this.
>>
> There's still something awfully useful and compelling about a serious
> reference manual, all in one place, with a comprehensive
> table-of-contents, detailed index, and embedded references.

Sure there is, but one has to keep the audience in mind. A beginner or a
person just starting to find introductory information regarding current
linux distros and related applications and programs is best served by
google (the search is very fast and reasonably efficient) as an initial
step. If one did not have today's web search engines at his disposal, it
would take much longer to start getting comfortable with an OS.

Once a user is past the novice/beginner stage, a reference becomes more
useful. Wikis are a breed apart, no reference book can compete against
this live documentation. But an internet connection becomes an absolute
necessity then. Books are the best as stand alone refs, can be read
almost anywhere (in a canoe, for exampe, :) ), mostly without need of
any electrical power. However, it is much more faster to search for
information in an electronic text document.

ever having been read.