Re: USB PCI card to buy: [SOLVED] Startech PCI625USB2I

On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 10:01:40AM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 10:52:41PM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > It's been a _long_ time since I've had a problem with a PCI USB card.
> > If nobody pipes up with a negative, then I'd suggest that you give it
> > a shot. The odds are in your favor.
> >
> > By the way, you may want to write to Belkin and ask them if the card
> > will work with Linux. At the very least, you are expressing interest
> > in having Belkin develop for Linux. They will never write "works with
> > Linux" on the box if nobody is asking for it. Here is their address:
> > http://www.belkin.com/contactus/index.asp
>
> Here's the reply I received from Startech:
>
> Both chipsets (Nvidia and NEC) are natively supported in the Linux =
> kernel since 2.4.x, but we do not directly support these cards in Linux, =
> nor have we tested with Debian, so compatibility cannot be guaranteed.
>
> Sincerely,
> Ray Aoki
> Technical Support Team
> StarTech.com
> Tel: 519 455-9675
> Tel: 800 265-1844
> Fax: 519 455-9425

The Startech PCI625USB2I 6-port (4 external, 2 internal) with the nVidia
chipset works just fine, using the normal usbcore module, handled
automatically by udev in Etch.

Just thought I'd close out this thread with a solution for the archive.

Thanks for your help.

Doug.