Re: why fake raid on motherboards?

2009/4/26 Justin <eqisow@gmail.com>:

>> > I only see disadvantages.
>>
>> Thanks, I appreciate your advice.
>

> Here's the advantage to fakeraid to me. Keep in mind it won't apply to most
> people.
>
> I have 4 hard disk, 2x320 in raid0 for the OS and 2x1TB in raid1 for
> storage. On the raid0 I dualboot Windows and Fedora. The motherboard's
> fakeraid is excellent because it provides a common interface between Windows
> and Fedora. For the raid0, I probably could have used full softraid on both
> OSes. (assuming Windows can boot from a soft raid0?) However, for the raid1,
> where both OSes need to be able to read the same partition, fakeraid was the
> only option.
>
> [Justin Newman]

When your motherboard dies you then have no data available to use
unless you have another motherboard with the exact same fake raid
chip-set. OTOH with software raid you can hook your discs up to any
motherboard and it'll all start fine because it's not tied to the
hardware.

 We had a boarder who used fake-raid in the fashion you mention and
was bitten badly by a raid chip failure. No spare motherboard, no
backups, everything gone.

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.