Re: Windows Partition Cloning under Linux

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 5:47 PM, T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> have a look at "ntfsclone" . . .
>
> Thanks. looks like exactly what I'm looking for.
>
>> Do realise that cloning Windows partition often leads to an unbootable
>> system due to MS copy protection.
>
> Yeah, that's VERY annoying. I use Ghost to create an image from my
> Vmware, and ghost back to real HD, but it is not bootable. -- got the
> blue screen.

That's an easy fix if you know what's going on.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Migrate_Windows
------
Hard Disk Support

For reasons we don't understand, Windows memorizes which IDE/ATA
controller it was installed on and fails to boot in case the
controller changes. This is very annoying because you will run into
this problem with basically all migrated images. The solution here is
to perform several modifications to the Windows registry. This can be
done while the installation is still running on the original system
because all it does is relax the IDE checks. Therefore the
installation will continue to work on the original system after the
modification. The easiest way is to use the excellent MergeIDE utility
from the German c't computer magazine.
------

The link for the MergeIDE utility
http://www.virtualbox.org/attachment/wiki/Migrate_Windows/MergeIDE.zip

When you open up the zip the batch file etc is in German. What it does
is look for "%SystemRoot%\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab" on your system
and then extracts 4 files. If you have these files already on your
system, then you can just merge the reg file that's included without
running the batch file.
They all belong in "%SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers" (where SystemRoot
is normally C:\Windows)
Atapi.sys
Intelide.sys
Pciide.sys
Pciidex.sys

Doing this has become standard practice for any XP systems I build
(which are few and far between nowadays). Saves a lot of grief.