Re: etch to lenny upgrade - X apps no longer see keystrokes?

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 13:49:53 +1000, Graham Williams wrote:
> Received Sat 18 Apr 2009  3:34am +1000 from Florian Kulzer:
> > On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 14:46:58 +1000, Graham Williams wrote:

[...]

> > > udev 0.125-7
> >
> > You should upgrade udev to version 0.125-7+lenny1 (security.debian.org).
> >
> > > xserver-xorg-core 2:1.4.2-10
> >
> > Rmadison tells me that the current version of this package for Lenny is
> > 2:1.4.2-10.lenny1. I would try to upgrade to that.
> >
> > Other than those two packages, I did not see anything unusual your list.
>
> I have upgrade both. No change in the X/kbd behaviour

> I am getting:
>
> COMMAND    PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
> hald-addo 4357 root    4r   CHR  13,69      5819 /dev/input/event5
> hald-addo 4357 root    5w   CHR  13,68      5772 /dev/input/event4
> hald-addo 4357 root    6r   CHR  13,67      5654 /dev/input/event3
> hald-addo 4357 root    7r   CHR  13,66      5620 /dev/input/event2

There should be some input devices opened by Xorg. Please run this
command instead (as root with X started):

lsof $(find /dev/input/)

> > Another thing to check is if certain processes are running:
> >
> > ps -ef | grep -E 'X|hal|dbus|udev'

[ snip: all normal, except that dbus is not running ]

Did you run this in single user mode, or did you deliberately kill dbus?

> > > Note that I am booting single user mode to do this, so it is logging
> > > in as root and running startx as root. I modified the .xinitrc to chvt
> > > 1 and to then xterm. I ran lsof on the console.
> >
> > I think it would be better to do further tests in the normal runlevel.
> > I would temporarily uninstall or at least disable [xkg]dm to allow you
> > to log in at the normal tty prompt.
>
> Yes - now in user land.

Does "now" encompass all the output that you posted in your last
message?

Does the keyboard work in Xorg if you boot from a Debian Lenny live CD
(http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/)?

          Florian   |