Re: etch to lenny upgrade - X apps no longer see keystrokes?

On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 18:10:41 +1000, Graham Williams wrote:
> Have just upgraded

To what? Lenny, Squeeze, or Sid?

>                    a fairly vanilla etch install on a Dell Precision
> 690 (AMD64) with an nvidia graphics chip.

Which chipset is it? Post the output of

lspci -nn | grep -Ei 'vga|graphic|display'

>                                           All seemed to proceed well,
> but on reboot and starting up GDM, most key presses result in the
> screen resolution changing - I can't login!
>
> After quite a bit of research and attempts to determine what is going
> on, I have run out of ideas! Ctrl-Alt-f1, etc, do not function.  The
> simplest way I've figured out to log on is through single user
> mode. Keyboard works just fine there. Booting into a Red Hat partition
> is also just fine.

Post the output of these three commands:

awk '/Section.*"InputDevice"/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

grep -E '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

grep -Ei 'keyboard' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

(You can do this in single user mode because the Xorg log from the
 previous start of X should still be present as long as GDM has not been
 restarted.)

          Florian   |