Re: etch to lenny upgrade - X apps no longer see keystrokes?

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 09:21:11 +1000, Graham Williams wrote:
> Received Fri 10 Apr 2009  6:31am +1000 from Florian Kulzer:
> > On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 18:10:41 +1000, Graham Williams wrote:
> > > Have just upgraded
> >
> > To what? Lenny, Squeeze, or Sid?
>
> >From etch to lenny, as per Subject.

I tend to forget to check the subject again once I start to compose a
reply in vim.

> > >                    a fairly vanilla etch install on a Dell Precision
> > > 690 (AMD64) with an nvidia graphics chip.
> >
> > Which chipset is it? Post the output of
> >
> > lspci -nn | grep -Ei 'vga|graphic|display'
>
> 07:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation NV43GL [Quadro FX 550] [10de:014d] (rev a2)

OK, that is nothing exotic and should work well with the nv driver.

> > >                                           All seemed to proceed well,
> > > but on reboot and starting up GDM, most key presses result in the
> > > screen resolution changing - I can't login!
> > >
> > > After quite a bit of research and attempts to determine what is going
> > > on, I have run out of ideas! Ctrl-Alt-f1, etc, do not function.  The
> > > simplest way I've figured out to log on is through single user
> > > mode. Keyboard works just fine there. Booting into a Red Hat partition
> > > is also just fine.
> >
> > Post the output of these three commands:
> >
> > awk '/Section.*"InputDevice"/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> 	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
> 	Driver		"kbd"
> 	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
> 	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc104"
> 	Option		"XkbLayout"	"us"
> EndSection

That looks OK to me.

[ snip: only harmless warnings in Xorg.0.log as far as I can tell ]

> > grep -Ei 'keyboard' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> (**) |-->Input Device "Generic Keyboard"
> (II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
> (**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
> (**) Generic Keyboard: always reports core events
> (**) Generic Keyboard: Protocol: standard
> (**) Generic Keyboard: XkbRules: "xorg"
> (**) Generic Keyboard: XkbModel: "pc104"
> (**) Generic Keyboard: XkbLayout: "us"
> (**) Generic Keyboard: CustomKeycodes disabled
> (II) evaluating device (Generic Keyboard)
> (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Generic Keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD)

Hmm, no real clues so far. I would like to see the status of certain
packages on your system. Please post the output of:

dpkg -l udev {,lib}hal\* {,lib}dbus\* xserver-xorg\* libx11\* xkb\* | awk '/ii/{print$2,$3}'

Another thing to check is which processes are using files in
/dev/input/.  Ideally, this check should be done after X has started.
Using CTRL-ALT-Fn does not work for you, but you could use a simple
~/.xinitrc that runs "sudo chvt 1" in an xterm, which would return you
to the text terminal. (You have to configure your system to allow your
user to run sudo with this command without password.) Then I would like
to the output of:

lsof /dev/input/*

(You have to run this command as root.)

          Florian   |