Re: [Partially solved] Re: Locale errors

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 13:35:09 -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 18:56:43 +0200 Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:38:56 -0400, Celejar wrote:
> > > On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 08:40:04 +0100 Bob Cox wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Very interesting; my /etc/environment contains:
> > >
> > > LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
> > >
> > > [I have no idea how that got there; I'm pretty sure I didn't enter it
> > > manually.]
> >
> > Is your system old enough so that the file could be a legacy from
> > previous runs of "dpkg-reconfigure locales"?
>
> Very possible; this install is more than two years old.
>
> > > When I comment out the line, the locale output under sudo -i
> > > is correct, with no extra quotes.
> >
> > AFAIK, /etc/environment is depreciated in favor of /etc/default/locale.
> > It seems that the new file automatically gets configured without the
> > problematic quotes around the locale names. Your problem suggests that
> > "sudo -i" still uses settings from /etc/environment, which might be a
> > bug. (I am not sure about the official Debian policy regarding
> > /etc/environment and /etc/default/locale.)
>
> So should I report this against sudo?

I am not sure. It turns out that I did not remember an item in
NEWS.Debian.gz of the locales package correctly. Here is what it
actually says:

locales (2.3.6-7) unstable; urgency=low

  * Locale variables are now stored in /etc/default/locale and no more
    /etc/environment. The reason is that Debian Policy forbids modifying
    configuration files of other packages, and /etc/environment is a
    configuration file for PAM.
    Make sure to remove old definitions from /etc/environment, this file
    is no more modified for the reason explained above.

 -- Denis Barbier <barbier At debian DOT org>  Tue, 11 Apr 2006 21:24:13 +0200

That sounds like /etc/environment is only depreciated for locales, but
not necessarily for other packages. The fact that "sudo -i" honors the
contents of /etc/environment is consistent with the information in its
manpage.

          Florian   |