Locale errors

Hi,

I've been seeing all sorts of errors related to locales in the root
account, e.g.:

~# man cp
man: can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct

Or, while running aptitude:

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
	LANGUAGE = (unset),
	LC_ALL = (unset),
	LANG = ""en_US.UTF-8""
/usr/bin/mandb: can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct

I've tried 'dpkg-reconfigure locales', and even purging and
reinstalling locales, to no effect.  The only locale I have selected is
'en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8' (that's the only one I've manually selected, and
the only one uncommented in /etc/locale.gen).  Is anyone else seeing
this?  Is this a bug, or some misconfiguration on my system?  Note that
my regular user account works fine.

Celejar