Re: [Partially solved] Re: Locale errors

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 08:40:04 +0100
Bob Cox <debian-user@lists.bobcox.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 20:24:27 -0700, Kelly Clowers (kelly.clowers@gmail.com) wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 20:14, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > So you seem to be correct; for some reason, in the sudo shell, the LC*
> > > variables are getting extra quotes.  Any idea why?  [There's nothing
> > > that looks interesting in root's '.bashrc'; it's basically empty.]
> >
> > Something to do with the preservation or lack thereof  of environmental
> > variables in sudo? Try putting the env vars in root's .bashrc, maybe?
> >
> > I don't really know, I use straight "sudo $command" not "sudo -i"
>
> Just a thought: you have anything in /etc/environment ?

Very interesting; my /etc/environment contains:

LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

[I have no idea how that got there; I'm pretty sure I didn't enter it
manually.]

When I comment out the line, the locale output under sudo -i
is correct, with no extra quotes.

Celejar