Re: [Partially solved] Re: Locale errors

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 20:24:27 -0700, Kelly Clowers (kelly.clowers@gmail.com) wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 20:14, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > So you seem to be correct; for some reason, in the sudo shell, the LC*
> > variables are getting extra quotes.  Any idea why?  [There's nothing
> > that looks interesting in root's '.bashrc'; it's basically empty.]
>
> Something to do with the preservation or lack thereof  of environmental
> variables in sudo? Try putting the env vars in root's .bashrc, maybe?
>
> I don't really know, I use straight "sudo $command" not "sudo -i"

Just a thought: you have anything in /etc/environment ?

On one box here I have:

$ cat /etc/environment
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_ALL=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_TYPE=en_GB.UTF-8

(which, as far as it goes, matches the output of the 'locale' command).

I *think* I added that by hand to fix a similar problem to the one being
discussed but cannot remember now.

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
Please reply to the list only.  Do NOT send copies directly to me.