Re: [Partially solved] Re: Locale errors

On 2009-04-13 19:21:23 -0400, Rick Thomas wrote:
> The problem is that if I remove the lines setting LANG and LANGUAGE from
> /root/.bashrc
> I get the following when I enter superuser via "sudo -i" ...
>
>> rbthomas@greybox:~$ sudo -i
>> greybox:~# locale
>> locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or
>> directory
>> locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or
>> directory
>> locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
>> LANG="C"
>> LANGUAGE="C"
>> LC_CTYPE=""C""
>> LC_NUMERIC=""C""
>> LC_TIME=""C""
>> LC_COLLATE=""C""
>> LC_MONETARY=""C""
>> LC_MESSAGES=""C""
>> LC_PAPER=""C""
>> LC_NAME=""C""
>> LC_ADDRESS=""C""
>> LC_TELEPHONE=""C""
>> LC_MEASUREMENT=""C""
>> LC_IDENTIFICATION=""C""
>> LC_ALL=
>> greybox:~#

Thanks. I understand the problem a bit better. So, it seems that if
LANG is not set at "sudo -i" time, something sets it to "C" (with
the double-quotes) instead of just C. The additional double-quotes
in the LC_ lines in locale output is just a consequence: this means
that these environment variables are not set and the default values
(from other settings, e.g. LANG) is "C" (with the double-quotes).

To be sure, after the "sudo -i", can you type the following?

  env | grep LANG

Note that you can reproduce the problem with:

$ export LANG='"C"'
$ locale

Now, you have to find why LANG gets this wrong value (ditto for
LANGUAGE, but this doesn't have a consequence on the other variables).

If you replace LANG="C" by LANG=C in /etc/environment, can you still
observe the same problem?