Re: Update-alternatives questions

Paul E Condon:

> I can't find a way to simply list the link groups, or a way to learn
> what packages actually use/set which each link group.

"ls /etc/alternatives" shows all the link groups on your system. It
doesn't say which package uses which link group, though.

For each file in /etc/alternatives (except all of the $n.gz files) you
can run

update-alternatives --list $filename

to see all available options, e.g:

update-alternatives --list editor
/bin/ed
/bin/nano
/usr/bin/vim.tiny
/usr/bin/mcedit-debian
/usr/bin/vim.basic

If you want to change a link run:

update-alternatives --config editor

There are 5 alternatives which provide `editor'.

  Selection    Alternative
          1    /bin/ed
*+        2    /bin/nano
          3    /usr/bin/vim.tiny
          4    /usr/bin/mcedit-debian
          5    /usr/bin/vim.basic

Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number: 5
Using '/usr/bin/vim.basic' to provide 'editor'.

J.
--
In public I try to remain calm and to appear perceptive.
[Agree]   [Disagree]