Re: Locale errors

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 17:51:53 -0700
Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 17:19, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been seeing all sorts of errors related to locales in the root
> > account, e.g.:
> >
> > ~# man cp
> > man: can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct
> >
> > Or, while running aptitude:
> >
> > perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> > perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
> >        LANGUAGE = (unset),
> >        LC_ALL = (unset),
> >        LANG = ""en_US.UTF-8""
> >    are supported and installed on your system.
> > perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
> > /usr/bin/mandb: can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct
> >
> > I've tried 'dpkg-reconfigure locales', and even purging and
> > reinstalling locales, to no effect.  The only locale I have selected is
> > 'en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8' (that's the only one I've manually selected, and
> > the only one uncommented in /etc/locale.gen).  Is anyone else seeing
> > this?  Is this a bug, or some misconfiguration on my system?  Note that
> > my regular user account works fine.
>
> Oh man, I hate this one. I have had this issue several times in the past
> but although I eventually fix it, for some reason I never remember how.
>
> Anyway, to start with, what is the output of "locale", and have you tried
> running local-gen (although I think dpkg-reconfigure should do that...)?

~# locale
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or
directory locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or
directory LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_CTYPE=""en_US.UTF-8""
LC_NUMERIC=""en_US.UTF-8""
LC_TIME=""en_US.UTF-8""
LC_COLLATE=""en_US.UTF-8""
LC_MONETARY=""en_US.UTF-8""
LC_MESSAGES=""en_US.UTF-8""
LC_PAPER=""en_US.UTF-8""
LC_NAME=""en_US.UTF-8""
LC_ADDRESS=""en_US.UTF-8""
LC_TELEPHONE=""en_US.UTF-8""
LC_MEASUREMENT=""en_US.UTF-8""
LC_IDENTIFICATION=""en_US.UTF-8""
LC_ALL=

Running locale-gen doesn't help.

> Also check /etc/default/locale

The only uncommented line:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8

> I hope some of this helps or at least give you other ideas...

Thanks.  I'm still stumped, but I'm hoping we'll figure this out!

Celejar