Re: [solved] How to set/change option for a specific input device with new Xorg+HAL

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 13:51:21 -0700, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 00:02, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Sat,11.Apr.09, 12:45:34, Kelly Clowers wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >> I have personally not gotten the fdi file to have any effect, so I
> >> use setxkbmap in my xinitrc. However, I have seen plenty of
> >> blog posts where people got it working with no trouble.
> >
> > For the keymap you don't need an .fdi file, see
> > /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg/NEWS.Debian.gz. Just install console-setup
> > and 'dpkg-reconfigure console-setup' (or edit /etc/default/console-setup
> > if you prefer the manual way).
>
> Well, I have had console-setup working for some time , and it is fine
> for the console. But it does not affect X at all. X still tries to use a 105
> US keymap, whereas I need the JP 106 with the OADG109A variant .

First of all, I would check if Xorg really uses the list of input
devices from HAL. Here is what my log tells me now, with all former
InputDevice sections and related entries in ServerLayout commented out:

$ grep -i hal /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II) The server relies on HAL to provide the list of input devices.
        If no devices become available, reconfigure HAL or disable AllowEmptyInput.
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Macintosh mouse button emulation
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Dell Premium USB Optical Mouse
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Dell Dell USB Keyboard

Furthermore, to see what HAL knows about the keyboard:

$ lshal -u $(hal-find-by-capability --capability "input.keyboard")
udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_413c_2003_noserial_if0_logicaldev_input'
  info.addons.singleton = {'hald-addon-input'} (string list)
  info.callouts.add = {'debian-setup-keyboard'} (string list)
  info.capabilities = {'input', 'input.keyboard', 'input.keypad', 'input.keys', 'button'} (string list)
  info.category = 'input'  (string)

  [...]

  input.product = 'Dell Dell USB Keyboard'  (string)
  input.x11_driver = 'evdev'  (string)
  input.xkb.layout = 'es'  (string)
  input.xkb.model = 'pc105'  (string)
  input.xkb.options = 'lv3:ralt_switch,compose:rwin'  (string)
  input.xkb.rules = 'base'  (string)
  input.xkb.variant = 'nodeadkeys'  (string)

It is important that hal shows the "evdev" driver and all the
input.xkb.* properties correctly, as well as the "debian-setup-keyboard"
callout. The callout ensures that a script in /usr/lib/hal/ is executed
to take over $XKBMODEL, $XKBLAYOUT, $XKBVARIANT, and $XKBOPTIONS from
/etc/default/console-setup.

          Florian   |