[solved] How to set/change option for a specific input device with new Xorg+HAL

On Sat,11.Apr.09, 12:45:34, Kelly Clowers wrote:

> /usr/share/doc/hal/examples/10-x11-input.fdi is an example

Uh, I missed that one, but I doubt it would have helped anyway.

> file, with comments, and this might be more focused and relevant:
> http://mvogt.wordpress.com/2008/08/15/xorg-evdev-and-emulatewheel/

Thanks, this was the needed info. Now I have this:

,----[ /etc/hal/fdi/policy/emulate-wheel.fdi ]
| <match key="info.product" string="TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint">
| 	<merge key="input.x11_options.EmulateWheel" type="string">true</merge>
| 	<merge key="input.x11_options.EmulateWheelButton" type="string">2</merge>
| </match>
`----

(had to restart both hal and Xorg) and

,----[ /var/log/Xorg.0.log ]
| (II) config/hal: Adding input device TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint
| (**) TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint: always reports core events
| (**) TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint: Device: "/dev/input/event8"
| (II) TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint: Found 3 mouse buttons
| (II) TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint: Found x and y relative axes
| (II) TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint: Configuring as mouse
| (**) Option "EmulateWheel" "true"
| (**) Option "EmulateWheelButton" "2"
| (**) TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
| (**) TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint: EmulateWheelButton: 2, EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
| (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint" (type: MOUSE)
| (**) TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1
| (**) TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint: (accel) filter chain progression: 2.00
| (**) TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint: (accel) filter stage 0: 20.00 ms
| (**) TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint: (accel) set acceleration profile 0
`----

The 'ZAxisMapping' mentioned in that blogpost does nothing, as the
manpage for evdev confirms (the option does not exist for evdev).

> I have personally not gotten the fdi file to have any effect, so I
> use setxkbmap in my xinitrc. However, I have seen plenty of
> blog posts where people got it working with no trouble.

For the keymap you don't need an .fdi file, see
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg/NEWS.Debian.gz. Just install console-setup
and 'dpkg-reconfigure console-setup' (or edit /etc/default/console-setup
if you prefer the manual way).

> For more info use google keywords like xorg, hal, evdev, fdi,
> emulatewheel

Must have been too tired yesterday, thanks a lot for that link.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)