Re: WinBlow$ Home Server equivalent

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 12:43:07PM +0300, Tapani Tarvainen wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 09:11:27AM +1000, Alex Samad (alex@samad.com.au) wrote:
>
> > but the marketing brief seems to suggest that if you lose a drive you
> > only lose the files that were on there.
>
> I would take that with a big grain of salt. Marketing briefs
> suggesting things without explicitly saying so are generally
> not to be taken at face value.
>
> Unless and until someone either finds an explicit statement
> by M$ to that effect or testifies having actually tried that,
> I will remain skeptical.
>
> > with lvm you would lose any lv that has blocks on that drive
>
> Not necessarily, although recovery of a partially lost lv is
> rather painful.

somebody else suggested a process on how to fix a missing pv (using
/dev/zero) and then fsck'ing thus giving you a mountable partition, but
how do you tell which files are valid and which are not !

Can yuo outline a process that allow you to find out which pv a file
exists on ? if so then yeah I am guessing you could recover from a
missing pv, but otherwise I would say not

--
I've always made it a solemn practice to never drink anything stronger
than tequila before breakfast.