Re: WinBlow$ Home Server equivalent

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 09:11:27AM +1000, Alex Samad (alex@samad.com.au) wrote:

> but the marketing brief seems to suggest that if you lose a drive you
> only lose the files that were on there.

I would take that with a big grain of salt. Marketing briefs
suggesting things without explicitly saying so are generally
not to be taken at face value.

Unless and until someone either finds an explicit statement
by M$ to that effect or testifies having actually tried that,
I will remain skeptical.

> with lvm you would lose any lv that has blocks on that drive

Not necessarily, although recovery of a partially lost lv is
rather painful.
And of course raid/mirroring helps - with software raid as
well as with lvm mirroring you can do it even with disks
of different sizes.

--
Tapani Tarvainen