Re: Lenny overheating, preventing installation

Aleksa Šušulić:

> The laptop is less than a year old and still in warranty. It has never been
> used in dusty or dirty places.

That's not necessary for dust to enter the system.

> And this overheating only happens with Debian
> (installing OpenSuSE or Mandriva or Ubuntu or Fedora works a breeze).

Ok. Then I would try to find out how these distributions operate the CPU
(clockspeed, governor) and make the Debian installer do the same. I bet
it's just the installer anyway. After (if not during) installation,
Debian should operate your CPU the same way all other distros do.

> As a sidenote: I've found a thread on internet a while ago stating that you
> may risk overheating and even frying a laptop if you try installing Windows98
> as a virtual machine, since Windows98 does not support the CPU "idle"
> instruction. I assume something vaguely similar may be going on here.

The linux kernel in the Debian installer definitely supports the IDLE
command. The only parameters of operation that I see are clockspeed and
governor.

> Modern laptops with fairly powerful CPUs apparently rely on certain
> subsystems of the OS to effectively prevent overheating. If some of
> those subsystems don't work as expected, overheating will occur. I
> find it hard to believe there aren't more laptop users with this sort
> of problems...

I really find it hard to believe that HP builds laptops not designed for
usage. For me, this would definitely be a reason to return it.

J.
--
Every day in every way I am getting better and better.
[Agree]   [Disagree]