Re: Lenny overheating, preventing installation

Klistvud:
> Dne sobota 11 april 2009 ob 10:47:36 je Jochen Schulz napisal(a):
>>
>> Does that mean that the fan doesn't turn on at all?
>>
>> It may help to disable ACPI during installation (boot parameter
>> acpi=off).
>
> On the contrary, the fan is at its max from the boot on. Problem is, it's no
> match for my dual-core Turion when running at its max (2 GHz with 100% CPU
> usage). I think it's by design, this laptop just isn't designed to be running
> at 100% CPU usage for more than 5 to 10 minutes in a row.

I have trouble believing that. How old is the device? Is there visible
dust in the openings behind the fan? If you are out of warranty, you
should try opening the case and clean it.

Another option might be to manually throttle the CPU during install. You
should be able to Alt-Fn to a VT and then look whether there is a
directory /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/. If it is there, 'cat
scaling_available_governors' should show a governor called "powersave".
Then just 'echo powersave > scaling_governor'.

If any of the directories, files or governors is missing, you need to
find out which modules to load. Or you could try setting the governor in
your BIOS. There are probably options like "battery optimized" and "max
performance".

> @acpi=off. I came to that idea too, but have one important question: if I
> install the OS with acpi=off, will I be able to enable acpi later on? You see,
> I WOULD very much like to use suspend2ram, suspend2disk, CPU
> scaling/throttling, display dimming and other capabilities that are offered by
> this laptop.

Since this is a boot option, it doesn't persist across reboots, so you
can always switch back. But that probably doesn't help anyway if your
fan already runs at full speed.

J.
--
When I get home from the supermarket I don't know what to do with all the
plastic.