Re: WinBlow$ Home Server equivalent

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 11:13:57PM -0500, Mark Allums wrote:
> Stefan Monnier wrote:

[snip]

>> As a general rule, you're better off relying on backups or RAID to
>> handle such situations anyway.  Or seen from another point of view: if
>> it's OK with you to lose an arbitrarily chosen 1/3 or 1/2 of your data,
>> then why would you mind losing it all instead?

think we are heading ot, but to add some more info to it anyway.

there are several aspects to look at.

availability - mainly done by looking at raid levels
manageablility - lvm / mdm
backups - only way to do this is backuping up info, raid doesn't help
with rm -fr /

people tend to confuse availability with restoration !

--
"I was raised in the West. The West of Texas. It's pretty close to California. In more ways than Washington, D.C., is close to California. "

	- George W. Bush
04/08/2000
Los Angeles, CA
in Los Angeles as quoted by the Los Angeles Times