Re: USB PCI card to buy

On 10 Apr 2009, at 15:46, "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@vianet.ca> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 05:37:28PM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
Here's the reply I received from Startech.

Hi Doug,

Both chipsets (Nvidia and NEC) are natively supported in the Linux =
kernel since 2.4.x, but we do not directly support these cards in Linux, = nor have we tested with Debian, so compatibility cannot be guaranteed.

I would recommend letting them know that you will not buy until they
support Linux.

But I need it so I will buy it. From their perspective, they know that
the chipsets are supported in the linux kernel, but with all the
different distributions and versions (compared to just testing for
windows), it would be hard for them to test them all.

What, Windows doesn't have many versions? Just the last few 'main' releases - XP Home, Xp Pro, XP Corp, XP Home SP1, XP Pro SP1, XP Corp SP1, XP Home SP2, XP Pro SP2, XP Corp SP2, XP Pro x64 SP2, XP Home SP3, XP Pro SP3, All the 7 editions of Vista, all the seven editions of Vista SP1 and I won't even mention Windows 7.

Thanks
Harry

Whether or not you actually do buy the hardware is another thing, but
ask the _vendor_ about Linux compatibility issue returns beforehand.

Well, its special order, no returns for non-defective products.  They
define "defective" as they can't plug it into their computer and get it to work. Defective products are sent away to the manufacture for their
warranty.  The vendor has not warranty of their own.

That's life.

Doug.